Modular Space Corporation (“ModSpace”) has an opening for a marketing and communications internship for the Summer of 2018. Rising seniors in The Penn State Donald P. Bellisario College of Communications are encouraged to review the opportunity listed below and submit their credentials for consideration.
- ModSpace is North America’s largest and leading provider of permanent and temporary modular space solutions for any organization that needs space for people to work, learn, live, heal and play.
- Our history can be traced to 1967.
- Currently, we operate in 80 locations (15 Canada, 65 United States).
- Independent research studies show ModSpace to be the pre-eminent brand in the industry, with total brand awareness that dwarfs others, and with strong positive brand attributes.
- The internship will be titled “marketing and communications intern”.
- The work performed will be meaningful and consequential, and needed by the marketing team.
- This person will report to Ron Wagner, VP of Marketing and Customer experience, though this person will work more regularly on a rotation basis with members of the marketing team.
- Ron Wagner’s background and bio can be found here:
- The internship will take place at ModSpace Corporate Headquarters.
- Location is 1200 Swedesford Road, Berwyn, PA 19312, 610-232-1200.
- This location is in Suburban Philadelphia, approximately 4 miles from the King of Prussia mall and with easy access to the PA Turnpike, I-76 and Route 202.
- Internship will last for 10 business weeks, 4 days per week.
- Time-period of work is 5/21/18 – 7/27/18.
- 4 days/week required; Monday through Thursday, 8-5; 32 hours/week.
- The intern will be compensated for their work.
- Pay will comparable to that of an entry-level marketing and communications employee and will be set at $15/hour.
- This is not a benefits-eligible position.
- This internship is available for college credit.
- It’s the responsibility of the intern to arrange for college credit.
- ModSpace observes a casual attire dress during the summer period.
- Though dress code is casual, the intern must dress appropriately within set guidelines.
- Guidelines for attire will be provided to the intern prior to start date.
- Pre-Work: Candidate will be required to review website and other business info prior to starting:
- First Week: First 2 days of internship will be an immersion into our business
- They must be a rising senior within Penn State’s Donald P. Bellisario College of Communications.
- They must be majoring in Advertising, Public Relations, Journalism or Broadcast Journalism.
- They must be well-spoken, well-written, a self-starter, able to work with modest supervision.
- They must have working knowledge of Powerpoint, Word, Excel
- Applicants must submit letter of interest to Ron Wagner at ModSpace.
- Candidates are encouraged to reach-out to Ron with questions about the applications process. Ron’s contact info is email@example.com, 610-232-0917.
- Letter must address the following questions:
- Why are you interested in this opportunity?
- How will this help with your career goals?
- What skills do you want to gain from this experience?
- What skills can you offer us?
- What makes you relevant, different and better than other candidates?
- Tell me about a time when you took a leadership position?
- Candidates must also submit a resume and listing of relevant courses taken to-date.
- Candidate must also submit 2 references
- Letters/information can be submitted electronically and/or hard copy to:
- Ron Wagner, VP Marketing and Customer Experience
- 1200 Swedesford Road
- Berwyn, PA 19312
INTERVIEWS AND SELECTION PROCESS
- From submitted letters-of-interest, 5 candidates will be chosen for formal interviews.
- Interviews will be conducted in-person and be completed by end of Spring Break 2018.
- The selected candidate will be notified by/on 4/1/18 and be required to submit a formal employment application and pass background checks and drug screen prior to start date
DATES AND DEADLINES
- Opportunity will be presented to the Donald P. Bellisario College of Communications by/on Monday, 1/8/18.
- Letters-of-intent, resume, course list and references must be received by/on 1/26/18
- Top 5 candidates will be selected by/on 2/9/18 and notified in-writing by/on 2/16/18
- Interviews will be scheduled to occur between/on 2/26/18 and by/on 3/16/18
- The intern selected will be notified of their selection by/on 4/1/18; the other 4 candidates will also be notified of the decision.
- The chosen candidate will spend at least 2 weeks with key people in our group:
- John Hosterman: Director of Customer Experience
- Annette Hamilton: Digital Marketing Manager
- Jeff Dusing: Content and Communications Manager
- Darleen Sita: Marketing Asset Manager
- The chosen candidate will also spend some time learning other areas of business so that they know how marketing interacts with sales, customer service, operations, finance.
- The intern will have a “semester-long” project to tackle
- At end of their stay with us, they will present findings to an audience that may include but not be limited to key business leaders, dependent on their schedules/availability)
- It is yet to be determined what that project will be.
TASKS LIKELY TO BE PERFORMED DURING COURSE OF INTERNSHIP (SUBJECT TO MODIFICATION)
- Marketing Automation
- With the Salesforce.com Marketing Cloud
- Define a journey, gather content, suggest a communications approach
- Customer Experience
- Assist with development of The Hub, phase II
- The Hub is ModSpace’s lease management app
- Research Rate-Us cases that have us rated less than a 2, uncover root causes
- Rate-Us is an automated push-survey program that helps us identify strengths and weaknesses in the customer experience
- Social Media
- Assess ModSpace social media channels and presence, recommend how we can improve and diversify our social media strategies and tactics
- Research and write blog posts as-needed
- Employee Communications
- Develop a written profile of each of ModSpace’s director-level leaders
- Develop a series of executive communications by month for CEO to send to employees
- Develop a series of weekly updates to intranet content
- Competitive Monitoring
- Audit top 5 competitors in terms of their website, digital and social presence, comparing them to ModSpace; what do they do well vs. us
- Competitors may include Williams Scotsman, Mobile Modular, Pac-Van, Acton, Mobile Mini, Satellite
- Digital Development
- Audit Modspace.com for inconsistencies between US and CAN
- Suggest improvements to Landing Pages for SEM
- Marcom Support
- Connect with sales and construction services teams, learn of unique projects, gather content for development of project profiles
- Build 1 or 2 digital flip-books
- Gather monthly data and analyze use of sales support tools,
- Any questions can be directed to: